Sir Geoffrey Clifton-Brown calls on EU partners to offer British citizens living in Europe assurances on residence

8th October 2019

Sir Geoffrey Clifton-Brown calls on our EU partners to offer British citizens living in Europe the same security on residence as the UK has offered EU citizens living in the UK in the event of no deal.

Sir Geoffrey Clifton-Brown MP speaking in the House of Commons, October 2019

We have been extremely generous to 3 million EU citizens residing in this country at the point of no deal. Surely our EU partners could be equally generous in providing assurances for 1 million-odd of our citizens living in Europe. They have been threatened with having to reapply for residence next year, and they do not know where they stand.

My hon. Friend is right. As I mentioned earlier, some member states have been more generous than others. We respect the political constraints under which some Governments operate, but we want to work with them to guarantee the position of UK nationals.



Coronavirus - COVID-19

Image by Olga Lionart from Pixabay

For the latest Government advice on the Coronavirus pandemic visit

For the latest medical advice visit

CLICK HERE for Gloucestershire Community Help Hub

Gloucestershire County Council
01452 425000
Cotswolds DC: 
By phone
  • Main switchboard: 01285 623000
  • Emergency Out of Hours: 0151 343 2942
  • Telephone payments*: 01285 623666
Stroud DC: 01453 766321 (inc. support services map)
Stroud Citizens Advice: 0808 8000510
Stroud Job Centre: 0800 1690190


(inc. financial support for individuals & businesses)
Emergency services: 999
Non-emergency medical: 111 or
Universal Credit: 0800 3285644
UK Visas & immigration: 0300 1232253
National domestic Violence line: 0808 2000247
Gloucestershire Abuse support: 01452 726570


Ten Climate Actions To Celebrate

The Cotswolds

1. The UK passed the world’s first Climate Change Act over a decade ago with cross-party support. This gave us both a framework to set statutory carbon budgets and set up the independent Committee on Climate Change.

Latest Newsletter

Meeting between Chief Constable and Gloucestershire MPs

It has been 1,317 days since the result of the Brexit Referendum, I am sure I am not the only one who feels it has been longer, but tonight at 11 pm the Withdrawal Agreement comes into force and we will be leaving the EU immediately.

31st January 2020

View The Cotswolds in a larger map